[Movie Review] The Amazing Spider-man

Hi Huneybees,


Yes, as you have read from my teaser yesterday, I've watched The Amazing Spider-man already and I'm loving every part of it! Even though the previos 3 movies had James Franco, the 4th Spider-man movie is well rebooted and it left me "swinging" out of the cinema.


The Amazing Spider-Man, a complete re-imagining of the Spider-Man film univese, goes back to the origins of Spider-Man as he uncovers a secret about his parents and battles with The Lizard. The film is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay written by James Vanderbilt, based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.
The movie is the story of Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), an outcast high schooler who was abandoned by his parents as a boy, leaving him to be raised by his Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field). Like most teenagers, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), and together, they struggle with love, commitment, and secrets. As Peter discovers a mysterious briefcase that belonged to his father, he begins a quest to understand his parents’ disappearance leading him directly to Oscorp and the lab of Dr. Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans), his father’s former partner. As Spider-Man is set on a collision course with Connors’ alter-ego, The Lizard, Peter will make life-altering choices to use his powers and shape his destiny to become a hero.

Toby Maguire’s successor in the Spider-Man suit is the British actor, Andrew Garfield, who had just appeared in The Social Network when director, Marc Webb picked him from hundreds of actors who auditioned for the role.


The scholarly and well-spoken Garfield, who was born in America but brought up in England by an American father and English mother, could hardly be more different from Maguire in attitude, upbringing and demeanour; but he has the physical attributes and enthusiasm, plus a solid theatrical background.
“The character has meant so much to me as a boy, as a teenager and as an adult, so I was overwhelmed with the idea of playing someone I cared deeply about. I adored the previous Spider-Man movies but this one is different, otherwise it wouldn’t have been made. We obviously needed to bring something new and fresh and tell the story in a different way.” -- Andrew Garfield
You have got to watch the movie in 3D! I mean it was shot in 3D why waste it right? The angles, the perspectives were some untackled before in film making and my experience of watching the movie in an IMAX theatre woke me up from my sleepy mode, got me sitting on the edge of my seat and like I said above, left me wanting to swing from buiding to building.


I was a little skeptical before I step into the movie. I mean, we know how Peter Parker became Spiderman, Uncle Ben dies, etc, etc. But there is this uncanny story telling that draws me to the screen and especially the action scenes were something you don't want to even blink!


Another thing that made me stay glued to the screen was the flawless and gorgeous Revlon ambassador, Emma Stone. She glowed in the movie and unlike Mary Jane, played by Kristen Dunst, she was just the sweet, next-door-neighbour kind of girl. She didn't need red hair or super screams to draw attention, she simply just shone with her natural beauty.


I must say she's a great actress but very little was focussed on her and I think most of the attention was already sucked away by Spider-man and The Lizard.


This is definitely a 4 out of 5 popcorns movie. 
Go watch it when it opens on the 29th June 2012 and don't leave the cinema till the lights come on... *hint hint*


Photobucket